Over 150 Years of Entrepreneurial Spirit and Innovation


1852

In Wiener Neustadt near Vienna Franz Burkhard founds a drawing mill and develops special machines for the production of wire tacks.

1874

The company “Franz Burkhard” has developed rapidly.

It now produces shoe nails, forged horseshoe culkins, hot- and cold-pressed rivets, forged fence tips, melts scrap iron to produce rolled steel bars which are later rolled to wire and then drawn. Even the fire proof stones for the inside of the smelting furnace are self-made. Also the production of groundwood pulp, pasteboard, and cushion springs is succesfully commenced.

The industry still depends on the force of steam or flowing water, so four branch plants have been built at rivers near Wiener Neustadt.

1880

After the early death of his father, Heinrich Burkhard takes over the management. He successfully leads the company through the hard times after the breakdown of the monarchy which leads to the loss of several markets.

The Company is renamed to “Franz Burkhard’s Söhne”.

1829

After the death of his uncle Heinrich and his aunt Bertha, the later adopted nephew Dipl.‑Ing. Franz Drechsel‑Burkhard takes over as single owner.

He concentrates the company in Putzmannsdorf (municipality of Ternitz), where it still resides.

1945

The end of World War II sees a severely robbed-out and struggling company lacking raw materials. By tightening the production program it can be restored.

1948

Paper clips, staples and thumbtacks are made under licence.

1952

The company celebrates its 100th anniversary.

The production of lattice girders for house construction starts. The adjusted production program contains drawn wires, wire tacks, rivets, horse shoe culkins, fence- and ski-stick tips, and welding wire.

1970

Dipl.‑Ing. Franz Drechsel‑Burkhard jun.and his brother Dkfm. Martin Drechsel‑Burkhard take over.

The division of rivets develops into a potent production of cold headed and formed parts.

The concrete reinforcement steel division grows strongly and cold ribbed reinforcing steel is added to the program.

Several modern wide-span factory sheds are built.

2000

The firm is restructured into a limited liability company and is handed over to a private trust.

Dipl.‑Ing. Matthias Drechsel‑Burkhard, a nephew of the former owners, becomes the new general manager.

2002

The company celebrates its 150th anniversary.

To this occasion a commemorative publication has been published which can be downloaded from here (PDF, german, 140 pages, about 8 MB).

2005

The production program of concrete reinforcement has been enlarged and is now including the FBS Therm, a light weight, easily applied loadbearing thermal insulation element for avoiding thermal bridges at projecting structures (e.g. balconies).
In the end of 2013 the production is terminated and the production facilities are sold.

2008

The production facilities for the lattice girders are sold, the production of cold ribbed reinforcing steel is terminated. The production program is now concentrated on the cold forming sector which is completed by the production of CNC-turned parts for small to medium lot sizes.

The production area in this manufacturing sector is expanded again by a new production hall.

2011

Despite the difficult global economic situation, which was caused by the global financial crisis, currently approximately 80 persons are employed.

2014

In November Johannes Steinparzer joins the company and becomes member of the management board.